Wednesday 28 May 2008

SPOT (me) in Italy

SPOT messenger is a very neat personal beacon - it sends messages via a satellite comms network to designated cell phones, emails or S&R agencies - using an "OK" "Help" or "911" button. The message gives the co-ordinates of the sender, his ID and a link to Google maps. It also allows tracking (displayed on Google Maps). Very neat for outlandings, and, in general, allowing others to follow you. Understandably it is really taking of in the States and Europe. Most online shops now carry them.
I will be using one in Italy, particularly as it is very easy for me to tell Christelle and the kids back home that i have arrive safely back at Rieti (I always let her know when I am back on terra firma). It may be a way to communicate to Ulf as I round each turnpoint - and he will be able to track me as well.
Spot has a shared page which the public can access - I will set it up and post the link.
Technology is really advancing in leaps and bounds - Flarm also has a Flarmnet page with, if i understand it correctly, a tracking capability.
EY

No comments: