Thursday 1 May 2008

Day 5

Despite an optimistic outlook from the NOAA forecast with 12000ft cloud bases and 3ms it quickly became clear that it was going to be blueish, cool and difficult. I snuck of early, as part of a game plan to get ahead, but I did not connect to the strong climbs under the enticing climbs at Alanridge, and down to 700m I took some weakish climbs before i connected to some good lift 40km short of the Bothaville, the first turnpoint. Oscar started behind me, but turned back for a strong climb and a restart some 10 minutes later. I rounded Bothaville with the blue sky waiting towards Hoopstad and the gaggle gathering around. Just as the clouds ended OG was with me - and after Hoopstad the two of us were a little bit too conservative and Laurens grabbed the opportunity to finish ahead of us and take the day. Well, my little plan did not work, and if only i could have glid to the massive dusty i saw on the first leg - but that was out of reach and hats of to Laurens.

EY

No comments: