Monday 20 July 2009

Ulf reports on his day 3 win.

Ulf wrote as follows regarding his flight in the 17th - in winning day 3 of the IMGC

Hi, Sven,

what a day. Only two finishers in the standard class, as you saw. When we were at about 80 km on final a heavy thunderstorm crossed Holzdorf that destroyed parts of my tent. When we were at the last turning point the thunderstorm was at about 25 km in front of us. We were at about 8 gliders, most of them tryed to reach an airfield 12 km north of Holzdorf, but thad could not work. So nearly all of them flew back to the last turningpoint Brand, an old airfield out of use. I was happy to find a 1.2 m lift and then thought that the prefrontal part of the thunderstorm must give lift. Meanwhile Holzdorf was free and I saw the chance to reach it via south with a final turn to the west because i saw the thunderstorm move to the northeast. So i flew nearer to the front and got lifts up to 4 m until I had a plus of 1100 m to Holzdorf. I could surround the thunderstorm, had to cross 2 local showers of medium strength, lost thereby 800m and reached the airbase in 300 m.

It was a noncritical flight for me be.cause I always saw the chance to escape to the south. I think my bad weather experiences with helicopters helped a lot to realize the weather situation.

Nevertheless it was one of the flights I´ll always remember.

When you want you can see the flight in OLC.

Greetings

Ulf

The OLC flight is at http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1935621200


Photo's posted on the website.

EY

PS - they did not fly over the weekend and today sounds like many outlandings.

No comments: